A chef is a skilled professional who looks after the kitchen operations in restaurants, restaurant chains, private houses belonging to celebrities or busy families, coffee shops, cruise ships or any establishment offering food services. Being an expert in food making, a chef does wonders in the kitchen even with the most common ingredients. Most chefs excel in some particular niche, although there are many who prefer to work in many areas of food preparation.
Besides preparing and presenting food, they also set exciting menus, create sizzling dishes, check quality of food ingredients and prepared dishes, guide activities of cooks and junior staff members and actively participate in recruiting, hiring and training new staff. Since chefs shoulder a number of responsibilities, the job profile is really interesting. If you want to work as a chef, you must prepare a well-drafted resume that reflects your skills and proficiencies.
Job Description of a Chef
The main job duties of a chef are:
- Preparing, cooking and presenting different food types catering to the individual needs of the eaters.
- Supervising the cooking activities of the entire kitchen.
- Ensuring that the quality of raw and cooked food meet standard.
- Developing new recipes, specials of the day etc. considering factors like availability of seasonal ingredients by planning and discussing with cooks, dieticians and other staff members.
- Helping staff in using new kitchen equipments and mastering innovative cooking techniques.
- Keeping an eye on the employees so that they follow sanitation rules and work in a clean and hygienic environment.
- Having discussions with customers to create customized menus for special occasions and also to get feedback about the food services provided once the occasions are over.
- Assigning prices to food items on the menu.
- Providing guidance on matters like budgeting and purchasing required for the entire process within the kitchen.
Skills and Proficiencies of a Chef
- Expert in using various kitchen tools and equipments.
- Exceptional ability to create new dishes while maintaining hygienic and sanitation needs of the kitchen.
- Excellent co-ordinating, time-managing and speaking abilities which help in obtaining quality work done in lesser time.
- Good monitoring skills including self-assessment required for taking corrective actions for better results in the future.
- Ability to work under pressure and also in extremely hot surroundings.
- Possessing some extraordinary skills like manual dexterity, time sharing, deductive reasoning and number facility.
Although no particular education is strictly required for the position of a chef, usually post secondary training, high school diploma or equivalent education can suffice. Any optional certification along with experience as a line cook or cook in a food-service setting will definitely serve as an additional benefit.
Chef Resume Sample
Ernest C. Cleveland
3412 Stoney Lonesome Road
Catawissa, PA 18720
Certified chef with 5 years of experience within the culinary world and possessing a strong desire to utilize my skills, abilities and natural enthusiasm to create wide variety of food items keeping in terms with the changing culinary trends.
Skills and Proficiencies
- Possessing a good sense of smell and taste in order to create menus that appeal to the senses of the customers.
- Good leadership skills to motivate fellow workers and encouraging constructive relationships amongst the co-workers.
- Excellent time-management skills required for serving food on time, even during peak hours.
- Proficient in the art of cake baking, applying icing on baking goods, barbecue and grilling.
- Brimmingham University, Brimmingham 2007
- BA(Hons) Professional Culinary Arts
- Culinary Arts Training Center, Brimmingham 2008
- Vocational Education Program, Professional Chef Certification, Culinary Arts
Food for Soul
Trainee Line Cook
November 2008-June 2010
- Preparing, cooking and garnishing menu items under the supervision of head chef and in cooperation with other staff members in the kitchen.
- Answering and reporting to the executive or head chef.
- Cleaning up the kitchen station and keeping it fresh, hygienic all throughout the day.
- Covering and storing all food ingredients.
- Following the kitchen manager’s instructions.
Sugar and Salt
August 2010- present
- Inspecting food supplies, kitchen equipments and work station to ensure all the staff members follow established norms.
- Preparing a wide range of food items and instructing cooks and other members regarding how to use kitchen tools; prepare, cook, garnish and present food items; store leftover food and maintain quality of various dishes prepared.
- Checking freshness of food ingredients.
- Hiring and training staff and maintaining public relations.
- Scheduling various programs, events.
- Obtaining information from different sources and communicating the same to co-workers, managers and supervisors.
- Estimating labour, material or equipment requirements.
Follow the above chef resume template to create your own tailored resume showing relevant skills, educational qualifications and professional experience, if any.