Job Description of a Dentist
- Educating patients on how to take care of teeth, how to brush and floss, what to do to avoid bad breath, cavities etc. in a word, every aspect of oral health care
- Preparing treatment room for patients in accordance with the prescribed procedures and protocols
- Taking measurements for different dental appliances like dentures, and making models
- Using tools to examine teeth, gums and the jaw and diagnose several dental conditions
- Removing unwanted teeth causing pain and repairing cracked teeth
- Prescribing medications
- Maintaining dental records of the patients
- Discussing and agreeing treatment options and plans with patients
- Recruiting and training staff
- Providing postoperative instructions to patients
- Providing surgery and/or treatment related information to patients, answering their questions and boosting their confidence
- Keeping himself/herself updated about the latest technologies by participating in professional societies, attending related workshops
- Working with dental assistants, dental hygienists and receptionists and maintaining good relationships with them
Skills and Proficiencies of a Dentist
To be a successful dentist, a person must have:
- Excellent dexterity that means the ability to work with different tools in a limited space
- Communication skills
- Leadership skills required to train and manage staff
- Problem-solving skills needed for evaluating symptoms and select the correct treatment process
- Good organizational skills needed for maintaining patients records
- Physical fitness and patience to deal with patients for longer, stressful hours
- Team-working skills
- Ability to follow methodical approach
With a doctoral degree in dentistry, you may step towards a bright career.
Dentist Resume Sample
52 Long Drive Road, Texas
Skills and Proficiencies
- Ability to handle patients and make them feel comfortable during surgical treatment
- Ability to use specialised equipment
- Excellent communication ability
- Ability to motivate others and work as a part of team
- Capability to remain updated with the recent developments in dentistry
- Capability to choose treatment plans by carefully assessing patients’ conditions at the earliest without any day
Smile Dental Clinic, Texas
April 2005- present
- Educating patients on the importance of maintaining healthy teeth and oral care, explaining various dental conditions, making them understand the need of treatment and treating them.
- Coordinating the regular activities of the dental assistants, dental hygienists and receptionists and assigning tasks to them; training these staff by developing new training programs.
- Maintaining medical reports of patients for further use and updating those as required.
- Treating all types of gum and teeth diseases, like decaying teeth and performing treatments like fillings, placing sealants, repairing cracked teeth, removing teeth etc.
- Using and maintaining different equipment required for carrying dental surgeries.
- Participating in various workshops and programs on dental care education, preventive measures and spreading dental care awareness.
University of Texas, 2000
B.S. Dental Hygiene Program
Certified Dental Assistant, Texas Dental Associates