Secretaries work in a variety of sectors and their job responsibilities are manifold. Thus their duties also vary from one industry/employer to another industry/employer. There is no specific education required for the position of a secretary, although some employers may have certain requirements. If you are a graduate or possess a high school diploma certificate, you can easily apply for the position.
Image Source: www.clearvisiondevelopment.com
Job Description of a Secretary
The usual job duties of a secretary include:
- Managing files by using filing system and keeping other records.
- Arranging meeting and conferences.
- Composing, typing, distributing and explaining notes of a meeting.
- Taking dictation by machine or in hand and transcribing information.
- Sometimes carrying out some front-office and clerical tasks like scheduling, cancelling and rescheduling appointments, ordering food for special guests.
- Assisting new employees in meeting people on their first day; helping visitors meet people in the office, as per their needs.
- Preparing agenda in consultation with his/her boss.
- Sending common mails to the office people, mailing promotional material and newsletters.
- Coordinating meetings and conferences.
- Supervising the work of clerical staff and training them.
- Learning office tools and techniques and operating different office equipment.
- Answering telephone calls.
Skills and Proficiencies of a Secretary
A good secretary must:
- Be punctual, organized and disciplined.
- Act promptly and take accurate, important details of meetings.
- Work closely with his/her boss and follow their instructions.
- Maintain copies of all correspondence.
- Know how to maintain confidentiality.
- Not bring personal problems to work.
- Have the eagerness to learn new skills and techniques on order to remain up-to-date.
- Not bother his/her boss over trivial issues and try to solve problems rather than dwelling on those.
- Be able to summarize minutes of meetings and discussions in a crisp and effective way.
- Maintain clear records so as to make it easy for others to carry forward related matters.
- Be thoroughly professional in her appearance, behavior and attitude.
Secretary Resume Sample
721 Park Street, Arizona
721 Park Street, Arizona
A trustworthy, conscientious and hard-working secretary possessing strong academic background and 6 years of experience in a fast-paced work environment. With a proven track record of meeting deadlines and managing different projects simultaneously and willing to extend my horizon of knowledge by successfully implementing work processes.
Skills and Proficiencies
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Multitasking ability in stressful situations.
- Willingness to learn new software applications.
- Brilliant book-keeping skills.
- Multi lingual-English, Spanish and French. Proficient in spelling and grammar in all these languages.
- Proven organizational skills.
- Diary management, travel arrangement and minutes taking skills.
- Ability to prioritise and manage time.
- Possesses a good dress sense.
- Knowledge of office etiquettes and basic work ethics.
City College of Arts and Commerce, Arizona
Diploma in Office Management, 2006
- PC skills like MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint
- Typing Skills- 85wpm
- Graphic designing skills
BLS Software Ltd
February 2008- present
- Is involved in different administrative support activities in the company’s Human Resource Development.
- Scheduling and rescheduling meetings and interviews.
- Co-ordinating and following up on interviews.
- Preparing and organizing documents and other materials required for conferences, meetings and travel arrangements.
- Handling office equipment with care and managing office space.
- Answering telephone calls and directing as and where required.
- Meeting guests and arranging for their refreshment.
- Directing visitors and new employees to appropriate office members and answering their basic queries.
- Updating office policies.
- Collecting and maintain reports, files, records and data.
- Collecting and disbursing funds from the office cash account and keeping clear records of the same.
- Managing projects and carrying instructions given by manager.
- Preparing electronic mails and checking others’ mails for grammatical and typo errors, before those are sent out of the office.
- Copying documents for sending those to in-house employees.
- Sending faxes to clients and receiving incoming faxes.
- Taking notes, preparing and distributing minutes of meetings.
- Maintaining office confidentiality.
Don’t forget to include professional credits, training and achievements that match to the requirements of employers. After all, reading your resume must make the reader feel like interviewing you rather than sending it to the recycle bin.